October 1, 2022


Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi would not identify which oversight entities but stressed that the USSS is fully cooperating as multiple investigations are ongoing.

The agency was thrust into the center stage of a House select committee investigation on Jan. 6 after former Trump White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson testified at a public hearing in June. Hutchinson claimed that then-President Donald Trump tried to force the Secret Service to bring him to the Capitol as Congress struggled to justify the results of the 2020 election.

Giving investigators the personal cell phone numbers of Secret Service agents was an unusual step, multiple sources told CNN.

Timeline: How a lost Secret Service text message became a political scandal

CNN previously reported that the U.S. Secret Service deleted text messages from January 5-6, 2021. The text messages may have been deleted when the agency began a data migration of the phone on January 27, 2021.

Multiple oversight agencies, including the Office of the Inspector General at the Department of Homeland Security, the National Archives and the House January Committee, are investigating or requesting more information about the USSS text messages. It is unclear whether the personal mobile phone numbers provided by the agents were relevant to these inquiries.

CNN recently reported that current Marine Corps Chief James Murray is delaying his retirement, stressing the agency’s commitment to investigations such as the Jan. 6 one.

“It is my strong desire to use this time to monitor and ensure our agency continues to cooperate, respond and fully support ongoing congressional and other investigations,” he said in a message to his staff.

ABC News first report Personal cell phone numbers are provided by USSS.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.